If you need an excuse to have a treatment, other than it makes you feel fantastic, here are 10 Top to Toe terrific reasons to call your local practitioner and make an appointment today!
1. Breathe – Spring is here. Do you get hay fever, sinusitis or nasal congestion? Does your partner complain about your snoring? In controlled studies it has been shown that acupuncture is more effective than antihistamine drugs in the treatment of allergic rhinitis.
2. Immunity – Do you get sick a lot? Sore throats, blocked ears, chesty coughs? Winter may be over but I’m still seeing plenty of colds in clinic. Clinical studies suggest that using acupuncture as both a preventive approach and a support for colds and flu can help reduce the incidence of upper respiratory tract infection and shorten the length of the illnesses.
3. Stress relief – Did you know that acupuncture can help reduce stress and lower your blood pressure? Try it and see!
4. Sleep – Do you have trouble sleeping? Studies show that acupuncture is effective in increasing sleep quality and therefore improving daytime functioning. Wouldn’t you like to have more energy to enjoy your day?
5. Depression and Anxiety – The effect of acupuncture on depression has been documented repeatedly in controlled studies. Chinese medicine works holistically, recognising the mind-body connection and treating the whole person to help lift your mood and keep you calm.
6. Digestion – Do you suffer with reflux, indigestion, irritable bowel, loose stools or constipation? Would you like to lose weight? There is extensive research on the effect of acupuncture on the digestive system, showing its influence on acid secretion, motility, and neurohormonal changes.
7. Reproduction – Do you suffer with period pain, irregular cycles or PMS? It may be the norm these days but it is not normal! You can have pain free periods and not want to kill someone every month with a course of acupuncture. If it means getting rid of devil woman perhaps your partner will buy you a gift voucher for a course of treatments.
8. Fertility – Healthy couples produce healthy babies. Acupuncture can help improve your fertility (both partners) and increase the success rates of IVF cycles.
9. Menopause – Are you tired of hot flushes and night sweats making you uncomfortable? Afraid that the coming heat of summer will stir everything up? A 6 week course of treatments will help you keep your cool!
10. Pain relief – Acupuncture can help reduce the frequency and severity of headaches and migraines. It can help relieve neck and shoulder pain, back pain, hip pain, plantarfaciitis and just about any other pain you might have.
** much of the research listed above can be found in the latest Acupuncture Evidence project as well as the World Health Organisation paper “Acupuncture: Review and analysis of reports on controlled clinical trials“.
Your feedback and questions are always welcome so please leave a comment below.
For further information on Chinese Medicine contact Tania Grasseschi (Acupuncture, Chinese Herbs and Wholefood counselling). Tania is a practitioner of Traditional Chinese Medicine (AHPRA registered) in Kingsford and is a Contract Academic at the Endeavour College of Natural Health Sydney campus.