A very important decision we need to make as new parents is whether to vaccinate our children fully, partially or at all. All of these choices are valid and we need to be able to make our choice with the best available information.
By the time an Australian child is 12 months old, they will receive 23 vaccines and by the time they start school, that number will more than double. We owe it to our children to be fully informed about all aspects of vaccine safety and effectiveness.
Should you choose to vaccinate the following suggestions may assist your baby at this time
- Ensure that your child is perfectly healthy & has been for at least 30 days prior to vaccination. They should not have had a course of antibiotics in the last 30 days nor should they be just recovering from an illness.
- Giving paracetamol to babies to prevent fever after routine vaccinations may lessen the effectiveness of the immunisation, according to a Lancet study. Although it reduces fever, the study found it also interferes with the body’s immune response. Antibody responses to several vaccines were significantly lower in the group given paracetamol
- Give Vit C powder (check dosage with your local herbalist or naturopath) daily for 2 weeks before and after vaccination
- Apply EMLA patches (anaesthetic patches available from chemists) 1-1 ½ hrs before vaccination on the area to be injected (usually thighs)
- Give Thuja (homeopathic remedy – again check the dosage with your local herbalist or naturopath) on the day of vaccination and 3 times daily for 2 weeks after
- Keep note of any changes you see in your child following vaccination. Look for things such as changes in sleep, feeding & bowel patterns, notice the child’s behaviour, temperature & skin changes such as rashes or swellings.
- Any adverse reactions should be reported to your doctor and to the Australian Vaccination-risks Network (visit their website at www.avn.org.au). The AVN will then pass relevant information on to the ADRAC (the Adverse Drug Reactions Advisory Committee)
Acupuncture and Chinese Herbs can also be of assistance both preventively and should your baby have any reaction to the vaccinations.